street innovations crew

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car club

3 posters

Second battery

1sickat
    1sickat

Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 244

Second battery Empty Second battery

Post  1sickat Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:48 am

Here is a question...i want to put a second battery in my car i know i need a battery isolater. but what else do i need and hw do i install it and will it charge the primary batter first then the second and if not how do i do that.
    sicdakota
    sicdakota

Number of posts : 129

Second battery Empty Re: Second battery

Post  sicdakota Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:49 am

I've never done it, but in theory you should be able to do it with nothing but a second battery and 2 extra battery cables. If you have an amp in your trunk you should be able to connect the positive terminal on the second battery to the positive terminal on your amp as long as your amp is connected directly to your primary battery. then just ground the battery on the same spot you ground the amp. Since the batteries are in series they should both charge simultaneously. Again in theory this should take a huge load off your alternator when you're running all that entertainment shit you have in there, and increase the amount of time you can run tha audio and tv's with the engine off before you run out of juice.
    sicdakota
    sicdakota

Post  sicdakota Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:54 am

oh and from what I understand you only need the isolator if you plan on running your amp and tv's solely off the secondary battery, the isolator will allow you to completely discharge the secondary batery without using any juice of the primary. as far as I know the isolator will still let the alternator charge both batteries at the same time.
    1sickat
    1sickat

Post  1sickat Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:50 pm

cool thank you
    sicaccord
    sicaccord

Number of posts : 90

Post  sicaccord Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:05 pm

Well alot depends on what you want to do also. In my opinion i wouldn't hook the batteries up in series b/c in doing so you will double your voltage output and your amperage output. You wont increase your storage capacity but instead will fry all of your wiring since it all based on a 12v system. Wiring them in parallel would keep your voltage output the same but double your storage capacity. That's how I would wire it to save all the electronics in the car if I had to. Putting the isolator would save the primary battery but both batteries would still be a heavy load on the alternator. Your best bet would be to add a bigger alternator like Beau. You'll get better output without changing anything else. If you really wanted to you could also add a deep cycle battery. They deal well with high drain requests and take a charge from the alternator well. Don't forget once started the car runs 95% on the alternator.
    sicdakota
    sicdakota

Post  sicdakota Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:34 pm

Yeah sorry about that hope no one fried their computer, I get confused between parallel and series it's been a few years since I was in school. Hey sicaccord is a bigger alternator going to rob some engine power? I have heard that but have no experience with it, I can't imagine it being very noticeable if any.
    sicaccord
    sicaccord

Post  sicaccord Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:55 pm

You will lose some engine power but very minimal. People start losing power when they do multiple alternators bc the extra bent tension puts more strain on the motor. But just goring to a bigger one causes minimal loss. depending on how big you go its about 2-5 horsepower.
    1sickat
    1sickat

Post  1sickat Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:03 pm

here is the thing i cant find a bigger altenator the biggest one i can find is 130 amps i would like to find one a little bigger
    sicdakota
    sicdakota

Post  sicdakota Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:11 am

yeah the biggest one I can find is 130 for your car. Do you have the 2.0 or 2.5 if it's the 2.5 than the ford contour and mercury mystique use the same alternator and I couldn't find anyone selling over a 130 for either models. Sorry.
    1sickat
    1sickat

Post  1sickat Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:04 pm

yeah i have the 2.5l v6
    sicdakota
    sicdakota

Post  sicdakota Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:27 am

I checked for the 4 cylinder too and it's the same, nothing over a 130 that I could find, sorry you're SOL.
    1sickat
    1sickat

Post  1sickat Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:55 pm

i kind of figured
    sicaccord
    sicaccord

Post  sicaccord Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:26 pm

you are not SOL my friend. You can double up on your alternators and get the double the power. you will lose a lil horsepower but i can tell you it can look bad ass. I would take some customization on your part but it is possible.
    1sickat
    1sickat

Post  1sickat Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:55 am

ok i am interested how would i run a daul altenator on my car
    sicdakota
    sicdakota

Post  sicdakota Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:05 am

Correct me if I am wrong but it should be as easy as fabbing up a new bracket that would hold 2 alternators, measuring for your new belt size/getting the new belt, and splicing your second alternator's wire harness into you're first. But this is just my theory.
    sicaccord
    sicaccord

Post  sicaccord Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:45 pm

Jordan pretty much nailed it on the head. Except you would also have splice into the input wires going into your first alternator so the second knows how much to put out. Im not sure if you can just splice into the output wires though bc dont forget your putting out extra amperage so you don't want to fry your wires. Ill double check and make sure im right so we don;t fuck shit up. But yea Jordan was damn close. Good Job.
    1sickat
    1sickat

Post  1sickat Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:25 pm

nice but there is one more issue and that is the room i dont think there is enough room to put a second alt but ican try to double check today

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:08 pm