street innovations crew

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car club

4 posters

Shift kits

1sickat
    1sickat

Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 244

Shift kits Empty Shift kits

Post  1sickat Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:00 am

what is a shift kits and do they really make a difference.
    sicdakota
    sicdakota

Number of posts : 129

Shift kits Empty Re: Shift kits

Post  sicdakota Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:36 am

You mean the shift kits for auto trannies?
    1sickat
    1sickat

Post  1sickat Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:50 pm

yes for the auto tranny
    sicaccord
    sicaccord

Number of posts : 90

Post  sicaccord Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Well shift kits to my knowledge are supposed to help reduce wear on the clutches and gears in the tranny and add some extended durability to the tranny by reducing shift overlap. CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG. I've never had a personal experience with them so I have no idea if they actually work. The theory sounds good though.
    sicdakota
    sicdakota

Number of posts : 129

Post  sicdakota Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:29 pm

I have no personal experience with them either, but from what I've heard you'll only get any use of their protective properties if you are manually shifting your auto tranny. In which case if you are really worried about ruining your tranny I suggest you just don't shift it manually, the computer is smarter than you anyway sickat Razz
    sicny01
    sicny01

Number of posts : 58

Post  sicny01 Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:57 pm

a fish is smarter than sickat, but yes a shift kits just makes ur shifting more efficient. It will reduce slippage and increase efficency while deminishing lag inbetween gears.

Now a more technical answer. . .

An automatic transmission's main focus is smooth shifting between gears. To accomplish this it often goes into two gears at once while shifting up, which is known as a shift overlap. In these cars, it is a kit that can reduce or eliminate the shift overlap. It will also reduce wear because the transmission won't be trying to drive in two gears at once. The downside, the smoothness is sacraficed, resulting much harsher shock along the entire driveline.READ FURTHER TO UNDERSTAND HOW THIS IS DONE:A hydraulic automatic transmission consists of the following parts:Fluid coupling or torque converter: A hydraulic device connecting the engine and the transmission is replaced or even adjusted. It takes the place of a mechanical clutch, allowing the engine to remain running at rest without stalling. A torque converter is a fluid coupling that also provides a variable amount of torque multiplication at low engine speeds, increasing "breakaway" acceleration. Tampering with the torque converter you can let the transmission engage at a much higher RPM.Planetary gearset: A compound planetary set whose bands and clutches are actuated by hydraulic servos controlled by the valve body, providing two or more gear ratios can be also tampered with, but likely aren't in most common shift kits. Adjusting the hydraulic control center that receives pressurised fluid from a main pump operated by the fluid coupling/torque converter is replaced with a more aggressive pressure. The pressure coming from the pump is no longer regulated like it usually is and pushes a network of spring-loaded valves, check balls and servo pistons much faster either by changing out the valves. The valves use the pump pressure and the pressure from a centrifugal governor on the output side (as well as hydraulic signals from the range selector valves and the throttle valve or modulator) to control which ratio is selected on the gearset; as the car and engine change speed, the difference between the pressures changes, causing different sets of valves to open and close. Adjusting them as well can change performance dramtically. The hydraulic pressure controlled by these valves drives the various clutch and brake band actuators, thereby controlling the operation of the planetary gearset to select the optimum gear ratio for the current performance conditions. However, in many modern automatic transmissions, the valves are controlled by electro-mechanical servos which are controlled by the Engine Management System or a separate transmission controller. Adjusting the programming is needed to properly take full advantage of the shift kit.The multitude of parts, along with the complex design of the valve body, originally made hydraulic automatic transmission shift kits much more complicated (and expensive) to build and repair. And doing the Automatic-Manual Transmission..well, that wasn't asked so no need to mention.FURTHERMORE:Rather then automatic tranmissions, with a manual transmissions you control when to shift, and how hard to shift. Any true race boon will pick a manual transsmission first.
    1sickat
    1sickat

Post  1sickat Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:07 pm

ok well that post clears all that up

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:20 am